To all our current and prospective clients: In light of the National Emergency, our office will still be operational from either our office or remotely depending on the status of events. Either way, we still answer all of our calls directly 24/7. The best way to get a hold of us would be through our office number (951) 686-4818 or email ( Our day-to-day operations depend on the safety of our staff and the courts being open for business. Feel free to reach out to us to inquire about your case or discuss any new cases with Mr. Feyzjou at the number above. Stay safe and we remain hopeful that this too shall pass with everyone’s health and safety in mind.


California courts have a separate procedure for dealing with minors accused of crimes. The State has created a place and procedure where minors are attempted to be rehabilitated, as opposed to punished for their actions. This is a system meant to counsel, educate and guide children, while law-breaking adults might be less open to rehabilitation.
There are different types of juvenile matters. First, there are those children who have committed acts that if committed by an adult would be considered criminal. These children are often referred to as 602 kids which deals with the Welfare and Institution Code that relates to delinquents.


Second, there are children who have committed status offenses. These are activities that are illegal because they are committed by children. Examples include, running away from home, violating curfew, etc. These charges are often referred to as 601 kids.


Finally, there are children who have been neglected, abused or abandoned. These are called dependency hearings. In some cases, temporary custody is taken from the parents and the children can be placed in foster care.


An exception to these primary categories above are children who are age 14 or older and have committed a very serious offense. Under these circumstances, the juvenile court can have a fitness hearing to determine if the child should be transferred from juvenile court to adult court. These fitness hearings are referred to as 707 hearings.


If a child is taken into custody, he or she must be released within 48 hours or have a petition filed against them. Trials in the juvenile system are called adjudication hearings. If the child is found to have committed the offense charged, a dispositional hearing is scheduled to determine the appropriate punishment. A judge has various options, including, placing the child on probation, seek restitution, assign the child to perform community service, or even a secure facility.


Speak to one of the attorneys at KIA LAW FIRM to gain in-depth knowledge about what to expect in these type of cases.

Accessibility Tools